Friday 3 May 2013

The Roving Eye Interviews Mel Sherratt


Today's Roving Eye interview is with the best selling self published crime writer Mel Sherratt. Mel's first novel 'Taunting the Dead' was set against the backdrop of her home town of Stoke on Trent, and went on to become a #1 best seller. She has since gone on to pen the acclaimed 'Estate Series' of novels that comprise of Somewhere to Hide, Behind a Closed Door and Fighting for Survival.



When did you first realise that you wanted to write for a living?

I’m not sure I ever thought of it as writing for a living until I was older, but I’ve wanted to write since I was in my teens and used to read short love stories for a True Love magazine. I never managed to get one published though.
  
What made you chose crime fiction?

A combination of my mind going darker with every book that I wrote, starting to read more crime fiction, watching programs like Shameless and anything written by Jimmy McGovern and also my job as a housing officer which gave me great background knowledge. 

What crime novel would you most like to have written?

Gone Girl because my crime mind wanted a very different ending, although I thought the ending in the book was just so perfect and thought inducing - and sinister.

Who is your favourite author outside of crime fiction and why?

Caroline Smailes - her work is dark, wonderful, lyrical, daring and such a great thing to be lost in for a few hours.
   
What’s the earliest memory you have of writing a story?

I wrote about sweets in a sweet shop - Gerry the Gobstopper was kidnapped and the rest of the sweets, Black Jack and Fruit Salad etc went off to rescue him.

If you weren’t a writer, what else could you see yourself doing?

Hmm, I think I’d have to do something creative, maybe a florist or a seamstress, both of which I have done when I was younger but never to a professional level.

What is your least favourite part of the writing process?

Always the part I’m working on - when I’m drafting I can’t wait to have a full manuscript to edit and when I’m editing, I can’t wait to write something new!

One record and one book to a desert island, what would you take?

Raise your Glass by Pink because I’d need something optimistic and Broken by Daniel Clay because it’s the only book I’ve read over and over.

With the rise of ebooks and self publishing, what are your thoughts concerning the current state of the literary world?

It’s changing but still has a long way to go. It’s exciting to see how technology is altering the landscape and more people are reading because of it. I think there will always be a place for print books, maybe hardbacks more so. And more choice - though hopefully some sort of quality control.

Sum up your latest novel in less than 20 words.

Watching over You - a hint of SINGLE WHITE FEMALE, with a dash of PANIC ROOM and a liberal sprinkling of FATAL ATTRACTION.

And, lastly, just for fun…

Have you read or would you ever consider reading 50 Shades of Grey?

I haven’t read it as I haven’t had time. I’m catching up at the moment after finishing my last book and also I put three out in quick succession last year, from last summer when 50 Shades was at the top of the charts - I can’t read when I’m drafting or editing. I would definitely consider reading it as it’s great to check out why a book or series went stratospheric. And I like erotic fiction - that’s clear from my own books…

No comments:

Post a Comment